Friday, August 24, 2012

Photography

My inspiration for today.. the today before the midnight hour.. was in my photography class. It's a course on color photography. Our instructor split our class into groups and gave us a challenge. Go out onto campus and find a picture of each of the four types of color groups she had just defined.


1. Primary

2. Complementary 

Complementary

3. Analogous

3. Analogous 

4. Monochromatic 

Monochromatic

Monochromatic

Monochromatic

Monochromatic

Monochromatic

Monochromatic

She gave us a half an hour to take these photos; first group back to the classroom won (and received a prize). Oddly enough, my group won. What made it awesome was that we had more than one photo for the different types of color groups. 

It was a nice experience—even though it was our first class assignment on the first day of school. It allowed me to open my eyes to little things in life that are truly inspirational, even the simple things. One of my favorite things to look at for inspiration or even just to think and be mesmerized is shadow. I love how they move with the lighting or stay still if the lighting is fixed. They form the strangest lines. What makes them most interesting to me is that they have no color of their own, they are simply a darker shade of whatever they fall on. This project let me look at color for itself and think deeply about what colors represent today.

Lastly, a question for thought. How would you describe color to a blind person (color blind counts)?

2 comments:

  1. Hey hey! Nice captures! =) I'm a big fan of shadows as well; more for how if you draw a shadow shape accurately of an object, the image will oftentimes read very clearly as such.

    I must politely disagree on your idea that shadows have no color of their own, as I do believe quite the opposite. =) I see a good deal of color in shadow... unless its at a point where no light hits it, then it's just pure black. Otherwise, reflected light, ambient light, all play a part in adding color, hue, temperature to a shadow. Sunlight will often warm one side (adding hues of yellows, oranges, reds) leaving the shadows cool from the sky or surroundings (blues, purples, greys)... Or even vice versa.

    Just my humble opinion though. ^_^

    As for your last question for thought... I would liken color as akin to the myriad of flavors in good food. Saturation, Contrast, Value, Hues... they can all be related back to taste I think. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I don't agree that those hues and temperatures, etc.. are a part of the shadow, rather a part of the object creating the shadow.. Highlights reflect off the object and relay onto the shadow. But I like your insight. I guess I'll be paying more attention from now on.

    Interesting. I don't think I'd be able to describe a color to a person. Interesting comparison though :)

    ReplyDelete